Exploits of the Frictionless Man as it wanders around the world like some kind of slippery hydra. Music, words and pictures a speciality.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Your sham fete farce.

Doug Stanhope is a funny man. We watched our third stand-up show DVD in four days yesterday, previously we had watched Bill Hick’s “Sane Man” and Eddie Izzard’s slightly disappointing “Dress to Kill”. But Stanhope was incendiary. Not only did he get a ranting and quite drunk conspiracy theorist to bellow at the audience and cause fights to break out throughout the theatre but he did a joke about conjoined twins that made Monica clutch her head to keep her brains from streaming out of her ears. It was great.

I’m so happy that we have been watching comedy. I like to laugh and I like to think funny thoughts and I like the way that my brain starts to run better after listening to a witty, erudite and insightful comedian. Sometimes the mind can become silted up with the mundane debris of civility and suitability and what you need is someone to just say something that will clear it all out and open the windows. I find good comedy does that better than music does, mainly because I can never quite listen to music as a listener, there is always a bit of the musician making technical and artistic judgements, which does change the experience considerably. If you know what I mean, you know what I mean.

There’s something else about comedy that I like. It bolsters my confidence in my own thoughts and makes me a little more forthright and verbose. I can tell that it has been a while since I have had a really good laugh because I find it difficult to explain things and think about things in clear and sharp terms. In the same way that listening to good music makes me want to make my own, listening to people talking in a beautiful and artful way makes me want to as well. Just a big old copycat I suppose. Buy me some copycat food.

I have been working on another song, although we have no gigs to play at. No matter though, since we will be recording soon. We were booked to play at the Dylan Thomas Award prize giving, but I have heard nothing about it since and the ceremony is on the 27th of October. We shall see what a little nagging achieves, but I’m not holding my breath. The inner workings of these kinds of organisations are a mystery to me and whilst we were asked to do it I think that Tim, who booked us, wanted so many bands the evening would last for about seven hours. I imagine that we may have been trimmed out of proceedings since there are probably other bands that fit the Dylan Thomas template a little closer. Crumbling cookies? That’s the way!

Meat news: last night I made some very nice meatballs. Tasty tasty yum yum.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

All good on the blog front with this one mr. frictionless. Have to agree (the little pixies made me) with your comedy versus music, possibly because music helps amplify how you're already feeling whereas comedy can make you see the world in a different way. Both are great though.

Lee Relfe said...

But Mr Fric, remember you said you hate music?
Comedy makes me laugh, but music is better at making me feel good in a more general sense. Actually, I find joking with friends makes me laugh much more than most 'official' comedy.

Lee Relfe said...

Especially you, Mr Fric. Aaawwwww.

Mr Frictionless said...

I hate music, this is true. It makes me feel like malaria.

Are offical comedians the ones that have the Kite Mark stamped on their left thigh?

I like laughing with friends as well, until they get too smart for their own good and start thinking they are really funny and won't shut up so you've got to give them a pop in the yap and say "hey you, shut yer noise!" and then they get all whiney and start crying so much you've got to hit them again, only this time you've got to hit them hard, so you can hear the bones. Then you say "shuuuttuuuuup before I get all Partick Swayze on you. Not Ghost Patrick Swayze or Dirty Dancing Patrick Swayze but Roadhouse Patrick Swayze which means I will tear your throat out and suffer terrible remorse right up until I do it to someone else!"

Not that you ever get too smart for your own good Mr Burns. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Lee Relfe said...

No, we never get too smart when we're together, if anything we get increasingly stupid. But it's good fun though!