Exploits of the Frictionless Man as it wanders around the world like some kind of slippery hydra. Music, words and pictures a speciality.

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

We’re on Blue Alert.

Things to nail oneself to:


  1. An iceberg

  2. Eels

  3. Sauerkraut

  4. Lightning

  5. A pedant

  6. The kids from Fame

  7. The old bandstand in the park

  8. A hammer

  9. Lobster soup

  10. Father Christmas



Types of alarm


  1. Dire

  2. Mire

  3. Choke

  4. Spoke

  5. Tar

  6. Bar

  7. Gurgler

  8. Pergola



Things I remember having in my pocket as a boy


  1. Key (to house)

  2. Keys (found)

  3. Conkers

  4. Acorns

  5. Pebbles for skimming

  6. Marbles

  7. Fluff

  8. Tissue paper that has been through the washing machine

  9. Polos (the mint with a hole)

  10. My last Rolo (with no one to give it to)


Things to feel anxious about.


  1. The popularity of lists

  2. My list not being as good as someone else’s

  3. Not being able to write a list on demand

  4. My list not lasting long enough



    4 comments:

    Joe said...

    I've ended up here again!

    Dear frictionless man,

    Once upon a time I went to school and forgot my sports kit. So the teacher made me play rugby in my underwear.
    It was meant to be a non-contact game but when the lads saw what joy could be had from takling me in my underwear, they did.

    Kids can be so cruel.

    But in hindsight, the experience has helped me to grow as a person. I can now re-live the tale, and exorsize the demons through your blog.

    And if you smiled (which you did!) then you've got nothing to worry about.

    The moral of the story is:
    Don't be anxious, your list is as long as it needs to be.

    Plus size only matters in regards to two things. Your heart and your limo.

    Mr Frictionless said...

    In which case I am doubly blessed; I have a limo made entirely from whale hearts.

    Anonymous said...

    I want to go back to your blog comment on the Frickman/Satori gig at the Tav because your current comment is too listy to comment on.

    I still cannot work out how, after playing outstanding sets (it should be noted that both of us gave superlative performances) could face a response of almost violent apathy.

    Is it the music? Frickman and the Sats are very different, so no lack of variety. Both bands are a bit left-field in approach, so no lack of originality and both bands actually "perform" so no lack of aural or visual stimulation.

    Is it the Tav? Well, the lay-out of the place creates a sharp division between band area and casual seating but it still fails to explain why that was the worst reception I have ever encountered. We even went down better on World Cup night!

    Is it Swansea? Is it me? Is it you? Is it the nature of pub audiences? I must admit that it has given me pause for thought in terms of whether it is worth playing in this type of venue. The boys say I should just forget it and remind me that within hours of the gig we had six extra hits on Myspace, however....

    How can you play a song like "On The Train" and get.....silence. At very least I would like someone to boo or heckle. Hatred, blind or otherwise I can handle (especially if it's articulated). I'm less good with compliments but the odd clap would do nicely..... but silence?!

    Still, we went down a storm at the Smallnations festival and Frickman are radio stars so why would we care?

    But we do care, don't we?

    Mr Frictionless said...

    I don't know, but it occurs to me that if you think of your favorite bands, can you imagine them playing in the Tavern? Can you imagine Can in the Tav? Can you imagine the audience reaction?

    Now imagine Dire Straits in the Tav.

    I think I feel a post coming on....