Exploits of the Frictionless Man as it wanders around the world like some kind of slippery hydra. Music, words and pictures a speciality.

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Cheeky Churchill and the Thames Twats

Went to see Morriston Burns and the Satori Shape Throwing Drone (Eric Morcambe Class) doing their disc jockeying on Monday night. They certainly have record collections, those two do. They didn't play any Roger Whittaker though, and nothing by T'Pau either so I can't rave on too much, being unqualified. I only actually possess two records: one is Roger Whittaker's Greatest Hits on vinyl, side one is unplayable due to an incident with a dozen grasshoppers and a tub of swarfega, and T'Pau's "China in Your Hand" on a bootlegged German 7 inch, which has "China in your Hans" as the B-side. Fearing that I would appear to be ignorant I told the Satori Shape Throwing Drone (Eric Morcambe Class) that it was "nice". I think that I got away with it.

We have been rehearsing a lot and have come up with a new introduction to Cloud, although for some reason this morning I was convinced that it sounded like the opening music for TV AM. Younger readers will no doubt not get the connection, and older readers will hopefully shy away from trying to remember because they are too scared that Frank Bough will be round to punish them for watching ITV. Frank knows punishment.

With that, Frank Bough. Which is cockney rhyming slang don't you know.

4 comments:

Ardbeg D-H said...

Morriston Burns' record collection is a migty behemoth indeed. He recently availed me of some live King Crimson which frankly defies belief in places.

The tune "Satori in Tangiers" recorded live in Japan in the mid-eighties was a particular favourite track for me.

I recommend anyone who likes guitars or, indeed, anyone who has only ever heard T'Pau and Roger Whittaker before to listen to this. (It's a nice gentle introduction to a wider world - honest).

Mr Frictionless said...

I can't see why anyone would need a world wider than T'Pau and "The Rodginator", they encompass the entire spectrum of music after all. But if anyone wants to indulge themselves, why not follow El Booze's suggestion.

May I make a recommendaton as well? A friend of mine leant me this on a Thursday as I recall and it changed my life; "Up, up and away - Essential Easy Listening."

Ardbeg D-H said...

Aye carumba! El banditos are invading our peaceful village.

Don't worry Senor - send for El Booze. He will fill them so full of lead you could sell their dicks as pencils...*

(*courtesy 'The Three Amigos' 1988)

Anonymous said...

Fucking hell. I spend most of my life trying to be original, you know, buying the most obscure albums and books just to impress people AND THEN.......after all that effort!!!

My DJ set on Monday night (described wrongly as "nice") was carefully designed to give the impression of park ranging. What happens then? Somebody advertises the life and loves of a park ranger in this very blog!! I was going to do fucking park ranger stuff for the next few months. Bollocks.

Anyway, Frickman (28) isn't that inquisitive. He didn't notice that I'd shaved my head on Monday. Fine bloody park ranger he'd make, eh Chris?