Exploits of the Frictionless Man as it wanders around the world like some kind of slippery hydra. Music, words and pictures a speciality.

Monday, May 22, 2006

A lonely rat daubing shit on. Well I declare. Going whine whine whine whine on the stairs, right there.

I’m preoccupied. I kind of want to write something thoughtful and moral, something about cause and effect and reaping and sowing and that entire bag full of monkeys and tinned worms and canned shrews. The thing is I hate thoughtful moralisers. Their prose can be leaden, their logic flawed and their spelling, punctuation, syntax and grammar have a tendency to go askew. So I’m not going to dip my toe in there. Or my typing fingers.

Of course, thoughtless moralisers are groovy. Even better are amoral thoughtalisers. Need to spice up a cocktail evening or book launch? Call a amoral thoughtaliser and get them ratted. Works. Every. Time.

We have been on another podcast, this time at radiostatic.am. Go and have a look around, there is a lot of independent music on there. The world of independent music is a fascinating one, the variety available is astounding and the quality is much higher than you would imagine (not all of it mind, but looking is half the fun).

No much on the gig calender at the moment, but there will be a fair bit in June, so keep 'em peeled. And don't have nightmares. And get better Jo.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

lol she's takien another turn for the worse this morning, i had to rng in sick for her. I'm sure we're all aware of the irony of your thoughts on why you're not moralising amounting to moral thoughfulness. well done. very well done.

Anonymous said...

look somene moved the I from rng and put it in takein. damnit it's done it again. curse that roving I.

Ardbeg D-H said...

Don't have nightmares? That's easy for you to say. In fact, it's easy for me to say too. In fact, unless you have a bizarre speech impediment it's easy to say full stop. It's always been easy to say 'full stop' for me, but if I had a lisp then I suppose I'd have to say 'full thtop' instead, and then I'd sound like a six year old girl with her front teeth missing (probably I'd also be holding an oversized red and white striped lollypop, if you're interested). Or at least I'd sound more like a six year old girl with her front teeth missing than I normally do, anyway.

The point is that now I AM having nightmares. Horrible ones. Ones that involve drowning in the brackish water of a stagnant cave pool at midnight while the walls collapse upon me and the falling rocks pummelling my body and breaking my flesh and smashing my bones only mildly distract me from the fact that something, a powerful implacable something, is pulling me inexorably under the water having pierced my foot with what feels like a meat hook.

Other nights it's worse; I dream of the Take That reunion tour and being forced to go and see them. On THOSE nights I wake up in a cold sweat.

(Note to self; should weat pyjamas instead of a cold sweat).

Ardbeg D-H said...

Other note to self: The word is 'wear' not 'weat'.

Rhys Hughes said...

The word is 'wear' not 'weat'.
The word is 'tear' not 'teat'.
The word is 'bear' not 'beat'.
The word is 'ANTIDISESTABLISHMENTARIANISM' and not 'HONORIFICABILITUDINITATIBUS'...

But it might be, one day. It might be!

Anonymous said...

Ra, ra, bloody ra! Any chance of kipping on your floor on Thursday night? I know it's short notice but things have been pretty hectic and I forgot to call.

Will try to phone tommorrow...

Lee Relfe said...

Honourificabilitudinity: honourableness.

Anonymous said...

now what is a thoughful moraliser? is that someone who knows what they are talking about or is it someone who knows where their morals lie? a philospical question for you, as you obviously like those stuart, is it better to be a thoughtless moraliser and actually have some morals than one who does not have any morals, therefore does not moralise. Surely is better to be a thoughtful moraliser, as opposed to a thoughtless moraliser.

Mr Frictionless said...

What is a thoughtful moraliser, other than a bit part in a quick gag? To moralise is to think about or express moral judgments or reflections. A thoughtful one would do it with a bit more thought, one would hope. A thoughtless one would be a paradox, surely. I made up the word "thoughtalisers." Lincoln is the capital of Nebraska. Hornets are far more placid than you might think. Two wrongs do not make a right, but three do if left is wrong.

Time was people around here would call me Mister. How times have changed. Youth of today, I blame the parents, bring back hanging, it was better under Nero etc.